The Falls General Store is currently a natural foods market with a full café serving breakfast, lunch and dinner. We make all of our meals from scratch using high quality ingredients, fresh local produce, grass-fed meats, natural chicken, fish and nitrite free cold cuts. We have a full menu and an in house bakery where we bake all of our breads and pastries on the premises daily. Our current offering is as follows:
- Homestyle meals
- Full Deli and Panini Sandwiches
- Fresh Bakery and Pastries
- Hand Tossed New York Style Pizza
- Espresso, Specialty Coffee and Teas
- Creemee’s and Scooped Ice Cream
- Natural Foods Market
- Bulk Food Items
- Local VT Products
- Boutique Wines
- Craft Beers
- Fresh Meats and Fish
We also have in house seating where our patrons enjoy a sense of community and the warm spirited atmosphere that is inviting in our newly renovated space. Our second floor has a yoga studio (Falls River Yoga) and pairs well with our health conscious mission to serve the community in the fullest sense.
From the Northfield Historical Society:
Northfield Falls General Store, formerly Neun’s IGA was originally a country store which sold and delivered grain and purchased groceries in bulk from wholesalers. Butter, lard, peanut butter and pickles came in large tubs; sugar, flour, molasses, vinegar, crackers, in barrels; tea in 80 pound chests, coffee in 100 pound bags. All such produce had to be measured out and weighed as it was sold.
This store is located in the Cross Block built in 1892 by Albert S. Cross. His son, Ernest L. Cross, with the exception of a short period, owned and operated a general merchandizing store here until 1923. The latter’s son Gerald then took over management of the store. During World War II he leased it and in 1948 sold it to Forrest D. Berno. The next owner was J. Albert Marceau, followed by Mr. and Mrs Albion Lanpher. Donald Neun bought the store in 1962. It was then sold to Mr. and Mrs. Donald W. Mesler from New Jersey in May 1973. Phil and Jane Laurendeau owned the store for twenty years. Jackie and DeWayne Bush owned the store from 2005 until it closed it’s doors in April 2010.
The store was purchased in Sept. 2010 by Mr. and Mrs. Rooney and opened July 5th 2014 as the newly renovated Falls General Store.